College-bound students – regardless of age – friends, and families are encouraged to attend College Goal Saturday, a free event to help students find money to pay for college. The workshop takes place Saturday, Feb. 9, 2013, in the Computer Commons (Building E), at Paradise Valley Community College.
Financial aid professionals will help prospective and current students complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and provide information on how to find federal grants, work-study grant programs, scholarships and low interest and interest-free federal education loans. Assistance will be provided even if you are not planning to attend PVCC in 2013-2014.
“Times have been tough and any parents and students are looking for money to pay for college. The first step is the application process,” says Kenneth Clarke, PVCC director of Financial Aid. “College Goal Saturday demystifies the college financial aid process. Students and parents will receive help completing and electronically submitting the FAFSA application and learn about the verification, awarding and disbursing processes.”
- Free on-site assistance completing the FAFSA.
- Information about how to find and apply for scholarships.
- Answers to questions about financial aid and deadlines.
If you are planning to complete the FAFSA and apply for the 2013-2014 school year, financial information from 2012 is required. However, 2012 taxes do not need to have been filed in order to submit a FAFSA.
You may need to refer to:
- Social Security card. It is important to enter the correct number.
- Driver’s license (if any).
- 2012 W-2 forms and other records of money earned.
- Your (and if married, your spouse’s) 2012 Federal Income Tax Return. You may use your 2011 tax information as an estimate on your FAFSA. Once you have completed your 2012 taxes, you must go back and correct/update the FAFSA.
- IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ.
- Alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen).
- Current bank statements.
- 2012 business and investment information (mortgage, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records).
Don’t miss this opportunity to get a head start on paying for college! Whether you are a traditional student right out of high school or an adult who is returning or pursuing higher education for the first time, you’ll leave this workshop with valuable knowledge and understanding of how to finance your education.
College Goal Saturday at PVCC is part of College Goal Sunday and Saturday Too, hosted at 26 sites throughout Arizona. For a complete list of dates and sites, visit www.collegegoalsunday.com.
For more information about financial aid assistance at PVCC, contact Kenneth Clarke or the financial aid staff at (602) 787-7200, or visit www.paradisevalley.edu/finaid. Information about Federal Student Aid is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
WHAT: College Goal Saturday at PVCC February 9, 2013
Free workshop offers tips and step-by-step instruction in completing & understanding the Financial Aid Application and required forms
WHERE: Computer Commons, E Building, Union Hills campus, 18401 N. 32nd St., Phoenix
WHEN: 2-4 p.m.